Table of Contents
- Oregon AFL-CIO & LERC Summer School
- Bargaining – Economic Reopener
- Insurance Committee
- Take Action for Education on May 8th!
- Classified Staff Do Good Things!
- Union Benefits – Discounts on almost everything
- Budget Committee Update
- Upcoming and Current Work.
- Useful Links
Oregon AFL-CIO & LERC Summer School
Please join us on the University of Oregon campus in Eugene for a weekend of engaging classes and that will help you develop your leadership skills and unify labor activists across generations and industries.
- Creating a Leadership Pipeline in Your Union
- Unions and Climate Change
- Building Trades Values, Battles and Community of Interests: Change and Challenges Facing Building Trades Unionization
- Unions 101
- Solidarity and LGBTQ Unionists
Summer School is open to any LCCEF member. Particularly if you are interested in kicking the tires and considering running for office in November. To sign up, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bargaining – Economic Reopener
Details about bargaining meetings will be posted each Monday and referenced in the weekly communications update (just like this). All posts will be available through the Bargaining Committee page on the website.
Today’s post covers the meeting on April 19, 2019 but we did not meet. Please send questions, or support, to the bargaining team. You can also use the forums to discuss bargaining, but please remember to keep it professional.
Reminder: there is a Joint Insurance Committee composed of 10 classified members and 7 managers.
With the intent of providing information and education, the OEBB subcommittee created a summary (not all inclusive) of our current PacificSource plans in comparison to the 2 most popular current Faculty OEBB plans. (Please note we used the most expensive and least expensive or our current PacificSource plans and did not include the Pacific Source 800 or 1200 deductible Smart Choice plans in this summary.) The summary can be viewed here.
*** Note there is no decision to go to OEBB. The membership will vote on insurance. This summary is for information and education purposes only.
We hope to have other insurance options available sometime in May.
There has been no response from management on the union’s counter proposal (Available on the Bargaining Committee page).
Take Action for Education on May 8th!
Educators across the state are coming together to advocate for students and fully funding our schools on May 8th. We’re walking out, rallying, and calling on lawmakers to INVEST in schools.
LCCEF alongside LCCEA and ASLCC are planning an event to take place at 11:45am on May 8 in Bristow Square (next to the Center Building on main campus)! More info: https://lccef.org/2019/04/may-8-funding-for-students and https://www.may8forstudents.org
Classified Staff Do Good Things!
“Tammy Walters, a member of the Counseling & Advising department, has been selected by the Employee Recognition Program to be honored for the Summer Term 2018. Lane is full of people whose work is focused on “student success.” The difference with Tammy is that “she LIVES it.” Her desire to make a difference in students’ lives–to meet them where they are and value who they are as unique individuals–is reflected in everything that she says and does. She is an example of the idea of “Titan Pride” that we hope to foster in all departments at Lane. This award is well deserved and we appreciate having her as a co-worker.”
~ Patsy Slaughter from the Lane Weekly 4/16/2019
Have a classified staff member you would like to recognize? Send it to email@example.com.
Union Benefits – Discounts on almost everything
Powell’s Online Bookstore
Check out Powell’s, the highly acclaimed online bookstore and the largest unionized bookstore in the country. Browse and securely purchase Powell’s extensive selection of new and used books anytime and anywhere at your convenience.
- Qualified orders totaling $50 or more receive free economy shipping.
- An outstanding selection of new and used bestsellers, children’s books, DVDs, even rare and collectibles.
- A large selection of technical, science, education and medical books.
Budget Committee Update
The LCCEF Budget Committee has posted the 2017 Profit and Loss Summary. To view this, and all other budget related information, please visit their page on the LCCEF website.
Upcoming and Current Work.
Many hands make light work! We could REALLY use your help! To participate in any of these opportunities, or to find out more, click here.
- Bargaining – Economic Reopener – Currently
- Research into e-Voting for union business
- The Constitution and ByLaws rewrite
- LCCEF Contract Committee (educate members and managers)
- Member Organizer Institute
- Officers in Training
- Worksite Leaders
- Grievance Committee
Our union by the numbers
- Membership: 335 full members (based on LCCEF dues files)
- Officers: 8 officer positions filled / 3 positions vacant (1 COPE Chair, 2 Member at Large)
- Labor Management: 19 active cases including 2 multiple member/group issues, 109 resolved since Jan 1, 2018, helped place 17 members in new positions.